Wednesday 3 March 2010

 

William Dampier 1651-1715


The Dampier name, whilst not common, is quite well known in my area of Somerset. William Dampier was from East Coker.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Dampier
Today I went to Sparkford where there are a couple of Dampier family graves. They may well prove to belong to an unrelated line.
The only possible connection I have in the tree at the present time is where a John Dampier from Chard married a Charlotte Loving from Hawkchurch in 1804. My cousin Michael Loving's grandfather came from Hawkchurch so there is the possibility of a match. Whenever I see the Dampier name I think of the explorer and wonder if there is this oblique connection.

Labels: , , , ,


Comments:
Wow. I knew the name. I could not recall why until I checked the link. It is true he is not that well known but after reading the wiki, I realised that I had learned about him in school. I wasn't very good at history and chose to continue my studies in geography instead. Every time I eat an avacado or use chop sticks or try and relate to a sub species, I will think of him. Thank you John.
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]