Friday 11 December 2009

 

"The Phelips Arms" at Montacute

My cousin Kathryn advised trying 'The Phelips Arms' for a meal when cousin Maureen and husband Bert were with me a few weeks back. We had a good meal there and it was excellent value.

For the last couple of years cousin Marcia, her husband, Melvyn, and I have had a birthday celebration meal at a local pub so this year I suggested that we come here and that Kathryn join us. Time passed very quickly with meals we all enjoyed interspersed with a good deal of chat.

For me 'The Phelips Arms' has a special significance as when viewed at the time of the 1861 census the landlords were my great grandparents, William and Elizabeth Stanton. Also present was my grandmother aged nine months. William was a butcher by trade but he and his wife were in training to take over 'The Rose and Crown' at Birdsmoorgate in Dorset from his parents when they retired. My grandmother was later passed over to her childless aunt Sarah at 'The Fleur de Lis' in Stoke-sub-Hamdon for upbringing and training in the licenced trade. Eventually she ran the 'Fleur' and her four children, including my father, were born there.
http://www.thephelipsarms.co.uk/

Labels: ,


Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]