Friday 18 December 2009

 

Cucklington

This was another interesting church. It was almost as if I was making an approach up a private roadway. It was quite compact and the bell ropes were hanging in the porch looped up out of the reach of temptation for small children. There was a notice to one side of the porch to the effect that you did not enter whilst bell ringing was in progress.

I mentioned a week or so ago that my great grandparents were landlords of 'The Phelips Arms' in Montacute at the time of the 1861 census. There are Phelips buried at Montacute, but, I feel, not so many as there are here in another churchyard from which you have magnificent views over miles of British countryside.

The Phelips are connected with the Fane family in Montacute and various of my kin from the line of James Fane, who married at St. Mary's, Stoke-sub-Hamdon in 1761 would like to think that we have this aristocratic connection. If we have, there is no history for James: he may have been a younger son or even an unofficial one. Something could come to light one day, but I am one member of the family who is not holding my breath!
http://ingilbyhistory.ripleycastle.co.uk/ingilby_3/PHELIPS%20of%20Montacute.pdf

Labels: ,


Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]